Skip to main content

A Mother's Dilemma Part 1


Please, God, let him telephone me now. Mom is waiting outside, and dad is on his way to the hospital, but I need to talk to him. The choice for them is clear. I desperately need to talk to him. Oh Lord please, please, please, just this one time, listen to my prayer. He will understand my dilemma, maybe, oh please, just maybe he will agree with me too. She is a part of both of us. She is our creation. She is our life, our reason, our love, our everything. I have carried her in my womb for seven months. For two hundred and thirteen full days, she has been a part of me, and not a moment has passed in the last eighteen million, four hundred, and ten thousand seconds that I have not thought about her. But why am I sitting and calculating that now? People listen to songs, or some even sleep, when they are tensed. I, on the other hand, do mathematics. Getting the mathematics degree was truly the best option for me.
Oh no! Please don’t get distracted! I have a major decision to make. And he, who had promised to “be my lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, from [that] day forward, in sickness and in heath, until death do us part”, is not here. I can’t believe that he would abandon me in such a situation. Oh, but why am I complaining? I knew what I was getting myself into, marrying an army man. Nothing is above his country for him- not even he, himself. I can’t call him, and I must wait until he has network coverage and a safe ground, so that he can contact telephone me. But a decision has to be made. And it must be made right away. I cannot wait for him. I need to do this alone. I need to do this for both of us.
But will he agree with me? I married him at a tender age of twenty three, when we were both young, and in the last ten years, we have learnt to accept each other’s the flaws and forgive the mistakes of the other. But am I making a mistake now? It took five years for us to decide that we are ready for a child, and another five to successfully conceive one. And, now that I am so close to meeting her, I don’t want to lose her. I cannot afford to lose her. Ten years! For ten years of my life, I have been yearning for this, and God wants to take this away from me too? What, what did I ever do to you? I attended church every Sunday, fed the homeless, volunteered at the old-age home … can’t all these virtues cover up for my past life’s sins? If not mine, then can’t my husband’s? He is a soldier! Even at this moment he is forced to stay away from us, because of his duty towards our country! If that isn’t virtuous, what is?
Thirty-three years. God, I have lived thirty-three years of my life. If, today, I want to make one decision for the brighter future of my unborn daughter, then why am I being questioned so much? Who are they to question a mother? I have always been a very determined woman, and it has been my determination which had allowed me to strive for excellence in every role that I played: I was a good daughter, a brilliant student, a loyal wife, and now, I want to prove that I can be a sacrificial, self-less mother also. I have ticked all that there is to achieve on my bucket list- all, except for one. And as determined as I am, I want to achieve that too. And with this decision, I will be able to do it: to live and to die for my child. I have lived the past seven months only and only for her, and now, I must die for her.
“Mrs. Perez?”
Huh?!? Yes, that is me. Being called out by the slender, hour-glass shaped woman, with a clinically monotonous, soft voice, made me stand up with a jerk, and I am regretting it now, due to a sudden sharp pain in my upper right quadrant. Anyway, now there is no other option, but to follow her to the doctor’s room. Hospital colors have always repelled me. This lady’s baby-pink dress, whose shade was at-least three shades lighter than my nail’s color, was possibly the only color in this room, apart from the navy-blue of my maternity wear, whose exact length is something that I am not aware of, since my bump obstructs my view of my legs. Maternity clothes companies have the perspective that just because I am pregnant, I must now want to look like a sack of potatoes. But enough of lamenting about fashion senses, right now, I need to channel focus my entire energy in persuading the man behind the beige sliding doors to save my daughter.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women’s Guide to Picking Up Men

Firstly, Athena is, as usual, helping me edit- by adding useless commentaries on an article with content as important as this one. They look like this. And they are not useless. I call them insightful . Do you start blushing whenever that cute guy from calculus class, Lex, who sits three desks diagonally away from you asks to borrow a pen from you? Does your heart beat get faster when your dentist removes his medical mask to reveal his highly symmetrical face, with cheekbones so sharp you might cut yourself on them? Do you worry about embarrassing yourself whenever you are dancing in a club with your guy and gal friends, knowing well that you have two left feet? Do you feel like your mind has gone blank, while you are in the middle of an exam that you started to prepare for on the way to the exam-hall, and co-incidentally the invigilator is smoking hot? Well; blushing, rapid heart-beats, worrying about embarrassing oneself, and mind going blank are all symptoms o

Guide to Awkward Conversations

We have all been confronted with situations where we were forced to make conversation or create dialogue and in a majority of such scenarios, at some point or the other it ends up in an awkward silence. Be it a family function where you are forced to interact with relatives whom you have never met in your life, or be it at a bar where you meet a hot person whom you are trying to impress, or be it at university or school where you are forced to make acquaintances as you require partners for the upcoming group projects, or be it at your work environment where you are required to establish a good relationship with your colleagues as your work performance and salary depends on it.   However hard we try, how much ever effort we put in the conversation; awkward silence soon finds its way in. This awkward silence hangs in the air, with none of the parties knowing how to proceed. Tension brews, as the parties nervously flash each other smiles; while their eyes try to d

Thread of Throughts

I have been thinking about having a blog for about a good fifteen minutes now, and contemporary to every girl in the world with a best friend, I shared my desire to have my own creative medium to express my thoughts with her, seven minutes into the initiation of the idea, and on the eighth minute it was accepted, and thus, we both have been non-legally bonded for seven full minutes and are hereby starting our own blog. The usual ‘I am Lira… and I am Athena. And we are… the Hessenheffers’ introduction doesn't quite suit us, partly because we are not Hessenheffers, and partly because she has no idea where the quote is from, and hence I have been banned from using that as our introduction in this blog.  Yes, I agree, she did not have a childhood. But, oh well, I wouldn’t have a best friend if it wasn’t for her, so I guess we are equal. As I said, we are not legally bonded for this blog, and neither were we legally bonded in the last seven years. So it completely beats me, as to