Skip to main content

Art: To impress or express?

Writing is an art, and since this decision has been taken, I would like to solemnly stand by it. Art is most commonly defined as the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination. As fancy as that might sound, art is basically an expression of thoughts and ideas… or is it? Do we use art to express or to impress? This question has bothered me since the Big Bang and as I look back to all my artistic endeavors, I realize that it has been a blend of both.

Being an entrenched musician, who specializes in Classical Vocal and dabbles a bit in piano, drums and light vocals; an occasional poet and writer, and an even more rare artist and dancer; I realized that the intent of the artwork depended on the occasion. Sometimes the artwork was made to impress and sometimes it was made to express. A bit more retrospection on my side, on this topic led me to the conclusion that most of my artworks, be it a musical performance, vocal piece, poetry, story writing, or painting, was mostly made with the intent to impress.

The main reason behind this is very simple in my case, that is, the fear of rejection and the fear of failure; fear of rejection being more. What if people didn’t like my expression, or what if they misinterpret it, or what if nobody acknowledges my artwork? My existence is grounded on my passion for any and all forms of art. If people did not acknowledge and appreciate my art, then my entire existence is being questioned.

Such self-doubting questions has not only haunted me, but millions of young, aspiring people who dream to gain the acknowledgement for their existence, maybe even you! Every time we dare to make an artwork with the intent to express, they are repelled by their fears and uncertainties, and this world loses an expressive creator. We indulge and fully emerge themselves into creating art to impress, without realizing that what impresses the perceives may not be unique to us, and it might not allow us to progress in our field of art. We are becoming competitors; not contributors.

Though these fears have ruled me for long, my desire to express my thoughts, opinions and ideas has eventually made its way to the forefront, despite my insecurities. That’s what planted the first seeds of this blog. I have realized that the maintenance of a blog requires a lot of commitment and comes with various types of hurdles and obstacles. I am ready to face and overcome any type of hurdle or obstacle that might come in my way during this journey, but the hurdle which I am the most fearful of is the hurdle of people’s rejection of my perspective.
People tend to dismiss our generation as young and reckless. Yes, I am young and yes again, I am reckless. But, that does not mean I cannot express myself. I might be right; I might be wrong; all I ask for is a chance: a chance to express myself; a chance to speak out my mind; and a chance to be heard.

Comments

  1. "To reveal art and conceal art is the artist's aim" told by Oscar Wilde in the book 'The picture of Dorian Grey's(check it out!) As an artist (I hesitate to call myself one..) what you've written is completely relatable! To be acknowledged and accepted is one of my biggest wishes. But as time goes by I realised that...the art pieces I create become a piece of who i am..if I don't acknowledge and accept it..who will? That saying..I should go and complete a piece now�� Keep writing!!! Love your works!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Women’s Guide to Picking Up Men

Firstly, Athena is, as usual, helping me edit- by adding useless commentaries on an article with content as important as this one. They look like this. And they are not useless. I call them insightful . Do you start blushing whenever that cute guy from calculus class, Lex, who sits three desks diagonally away from you asks to borrow a pen from you? Does your heart beat get faster when your dentist removes his medical mask to reveal his highly symmetrical face, with cheekbones so sharp you might cut yourself on them? Do you worry about embarrassing yourself whenever you are dancing in a club with your guy and gal friends, knowing well that you have two left feet? Do you feel like your mind has gone blank, while you are in the middle of an exam that you started to prepare for on the way to the exam-hall, and co-incidentally the invigilator is smoking hot? Well; blushing, rapid heart-beats, worrying about embarrassing oneself, and mind going blank are all symptoms o

Guide to Awkward Conversations

We have all been confronted with situations where we were forced to make conversation or create dialogue and in a majority of such scenarios, at some point or the other it ends up in an awkward silence. Be it a family function where you are forced to interact with relatives whom you have never met in your life, or be it at a bar where you meet a hot person whom you are trying to impress, or be it at university or school where you are forced to make acquaintances as you require partners for the upcoming group projects, or be it at your work environment where you are required to establish a good relationship with your colleagues as your work performance and salary depends on it.   However hard we try, how much ever effort we put in the conversation; awkward silence soon finds its way in. This awkward silence hangs in the air, with none of the parties knowing how to proceed. Tension brews, as the parties nervously flash each other smiles; while their eyes try to d

Thread of Throughts

I have been thinking about having a blog for about a good fifteen minutes now, and contemporary to every girl in the world with a best friend, I shared my desire to have my own creative medium to express my thoughts with her, seven minutes into the initiation of the idea, and on the eighth minute it was accepted, and thus, we both have been non-legally bonded for seven full minutes and are hereby starting our own blog. The usual ‘I am Lira… and I am Athena. And we are… the Hessenheffers’ introduction doesn't quite suit us, partly because we are not Hessenheffers, and partly because she has no idea where the quote is from, and hence I have been banned from using that as our introduction in this blog.  Yes, I agree, she did not have a childhood. But, oh well, I wouldn’t have a best friend if it wasn’t for her, so I guess we are equal. As I said, we are not legally bonded for this blog, and neither were we legally bonded in the last seven years. So it completely beats me, as to